West Coast Solutions brings decades of demonstrated excellence in delivering high efficiency, radiation hard, and cost-effective solutions for space electronics. Here are some examples of how we can help you:
- Radiation hard component selection
- Space electronics schematic design
- Space electronics layout
- Thermal modeling
- Thermal design
- Input ripple filter design
- Active vibration cancelation design
- Cryocooler control electronics
A few examples of our recent work provided below:
Precision Mirror Mechanism Pointing Electronics (PMMCE)
West Coast Solutions was hired by Aerospace Corporation to develop the control electronics for a novel, high-precision pointing mechanism for future USAF Next Generation Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) missions. During the initial phase, WCS developed a “path-to-flight” brassboard with dual high-speed ADC channels, FPGA and firmware, and dual motor drive circuits. The fully-packaged radiation hard flight electronics will be developed in the future.
- OPIR pointing mirror control electronics
- Dual high-speed ADC, FPGA, and motor drives
- Design and prototype, including firmware
Flow Sensor Electronics (FSE)
West Coast Solutions was contracted by Creare to develop the power and signal conditioning electronics for the oxygen flow sensor for the Portable Life Support System (PLSS). WCS developed the electronics for the novel Creare MEMS flow sensor. A “path-to-flight” brassboard was built and demonstrated with the Creare sensor and then delivered to the end user for additional testing. The fully-packaged radiation hard flight electronics has been designed and is soon to be implemented.
- Space suit oxygen flow sensor electronics
- Precision signal conditioning and communications
- Brassboard build and test (hardware and firmware)
- Radiation hard flight design
Hybrid Battery Supercapacitor (HBS)West Coast Solutions was awarded a Phase II Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Program in January 2020 to design, build, test, and qualify a prototype 1U (1000 cc) Hybrid Battery Supercapacitor (HBS). The projected completion date for the Qualification Testing is May 2021. The WCS HBS will enable a whole new generation of high power payloads on SmallSats. Targeted applications include advanced propulsion technologies, lasercom, high data rate downlink transmitters, large array infrared sensors, and directed energy weapons.
- High power-density battery for small satellites (SmallSats)
- High reliability, radiation tolerant space design
- 150 Wh energy and >500W power in 1U form factor
- Scalable for higher energy and higher power
Micro Cryocooler Control Electronics (MCCE)
Our partners at Creare have been developing cryocooler electronics since 2008. The Creare-WCS collaboration began in 2015 on a ripple filter design for a special airborne project, and now has progressed through a NASA Phase I and II SBIR (MCCE-TS) and a Missile Defense Agency (MDA) Phase I and II STTR (MCCE-RH) into multiple active flight programs, including the Hyperspectral Thermal Imager (HyTI) scheduled to launch in 2021. WCS brings many decades of hands-on, space flight CCE experience to the strong Creare team, resulting in a combination that cannot be matched in terms of knowledge, experience, capability, and track record.
- Multi-year, Multi-program Creare-WCS collaboration
- High-performance, yet affordable CCE designs
- MCCE-TS (Tactical Space) for cost-sensitive, moderate duration space missions
- MCCE-RH (Radiation Hardened) for long-life strategic missions
- Tailorable options: active vibration control, input ripple filtering, and launch lock
At West Coast Solutions, our skilled firmware, electrical, mechanical, and software engineers led by seasoned program managers expertly plan and execute all phases of your program, from imagineering thru hardware realization.