West Coast Solutions brings decades of multidisciplinary cryocooler and cryogenic system experience to solve your most challenging needs. A few examples of our recent work are provided below to introduce our capabilities.
SmallSat Stirling Cryocooler (SSC-X)
West Coast Solutions, in collaboration with the Georgia Tech Cryo Lab (GTCL), was awarded a Phase II STTR Program in September 2019 to complete the design, build, and demonstration of a revolutionary device dubbed the SmallSat Stirling Cryocooler (SSC-X). SSC-X will yield a 2X improvement in Size, Weight, and Power (SWaP) relative to current state of the art cryocoolers of comparable size and capacity. The projected key performance parameters are 2.8W @ 77K for 32 WAC input power in a flight package weighing < 1.5 kg.
- Next generation mechanical space cryocooler
- Stirling cycle for maximum efficiency
- Very high frequency (VHF) enables very compact size
- VHF also reduces jitter and current ripple effects
- Incorporates the latest in Additive Manufacturing technology
- Scalable from 5W to 50W input
Hyperspectral Thermal Imager (HyTI)
West Coast Solutions was selected by Hawaii Space Flight Laboratory (HSFL) to fill the role of Cryocooler Systems Engineering Team on the HyTI mission, which is on track to launch in late 2021. WCS was brought on board at the start of the program to lead the cryocooler selection activity, and continues to support the program in all aspects of cryocooler systems engineering, including providing test support for the AIM SF-070 cryocooler out of our Huntington Beach laboratory.
- Cryocooler selection and integration support for HyTI instrument
- Hawaii Space Flight Laboratory NASA InVEST program with JPL
- Cryo systems engineering support covering mechanical, thermal, and vibrational
- Integration of a tactical COTS cryocooler onto a 6U satellite
- Integration and test of custom Creare cryocooler electronics
Ultra-Compact Imaging Spectrometer (UCIS)
West Coast Solutions, through our partners at Sierra Lobo Inc., is providing mission critical support to Jet Propulsion Laboratory in the selection, integrated design, and test of the Cryocooler Subsystem. One key task involved the design of a Cryogenic Thermal Demonstrator to experimentally determine the cryogenic thermal loads to be expected in the UCIS instrument. Additional program tasks include SolidWorks Simulation finite element thermal analysis and computational fluid dynamics to guide the heat sink designs.
- Cryocooler selection and integration support for UCIS airborne instrument
- WCS is supporting JPL through a Sierra Lobo-led MEDALS program
- Cryo systems engineering support covering mechanical, thermal, vibrational,
- Integration of tactical COTS cryocoolers onto an airborne instrument
Cryocooler Ripple Filters
As one element of our wide range of cryocooler control electronics experience, West Coast Solutions brings a particular expertise in the design of high performance filters to mitigate the low frequency current ripple imparted onto the input bus by a typical Stirling or pulse tube cryocooler. WCS can tailor the solution to optimally balance the customer’s needs in terms of CE-101 compliance, efficiency, mass, and input and output voltage levels. Recent experience includes a 600W airborne version and the nominally 50W radiation-tolerant version for the HyTI cryocooler, both efforts performed in collaboration with our partners at Creare.
- Address the unique CE-101 challenges introduced by Stirling and pulse tube coolers
- Airborne and space (radiation tolerant) designs
- Multiple versions developed from 50W to 600W
- High efficiency, low noise, high reliability
West Coast Solutions
17682 Gothard St #201
Huntington Beach, CA 92647, USA
CALL US: (714) 587-4628