West Coast Solutions specializes in expeditionary and scavenging power technologies, including the development of custom batteries and the integration of complex solar and hybrid systems.
Ultra-Lightweight Expeditionary Power System (U-LEPS)
In follow on to a highly-successful TRL 5 technology demonstration in Phase II, West Coast Solutions was recently awarded a Phase II Supplemental from the United States Marine Corps to complete and mature the Ultra-Lightweight Expeditionary Power System (U-LEPS) to TRL 8. U-LEPS promises to provide a 2X SWaP improvement over the current art by virtue of the underlying next generation patented battery and power electronics technologies. U-LEPS is readily scalable and reconfigurable to meet a wide range of sizes and applications.
- Modular and scalable hybrid power system from 1 to 10 kW
- 2X SWaP improvement over the current Program of Record
- Designed for operational simplicity and robustness
- WCS Patent-Pending “Dual Bus” for No Drop Outs
- Supports NATO/DC, AC, Solar, and other alternative sources
- Incorporates the high energy density, safe U-LEB lithium-polymer battery core
Ultra-Lightweight Expeditionary Battery (U-LEB)
While U-LEPS combines the Battery and Power Conversion into a single two-person carry module, U-LEB is a one-person carry module featuring just the Battery and BMS for applications not requiring the full U-LEPS architecture. U-LEB, also developed on a USMC SBIR, is a collaboration with American Lithium Energy, who provides a high-energy density lithium-polymer cell with their patented SafeCore™ , which is essentially an internal fuse to prevent thermal runaway. U-LEB is ideal where both Energy and Safety are priorities.
- Standalone battery with BMS in hardened environmental case
- High energy density AND intrinsically safe
- 3 kWh @ 20 kg (150 Wh/kg)
- Up to 0.7C (2 kW) discharge
- Cycle life > 3000 @ 0.2C charge and discharge
- Li-ion cells feature patented SafeCore™ for intrinsic safety
Battlefield Airman Battery
WCS is leading the battery packaging effort on an Air Force Phase III SBIR subcontract to American Lithium Energy. Our focus is on thermal management to meet the aggressive 450W @ 65°C discharge requirement. WCS has designed an extremely compact package that still contains enough phase change material to meet requirements.
- Compact, thermally efficient packaging for a high power battery
- Custom 18650 cells from ALE packaged into 9S2P format by WCS
- Utilizes solid-liquid phase change material
- Support 450W discharge up to 65°C baseplate temperature
Ultra-Compact Uninterruptible Power Supply (U-CUPS)
West Coast Solutions developed the Ultra-Compact Uninterruptible Power Supply (U-CUPS) concept on internally-funded R&D to address the battery and power needs of disaster relief applications where first responders may be using commercial aircraft for transport. A typical use case is setting up a portable antenna system in a region stricken by natural disaster. U-CUPS is a miniaturized implementation of U-LEPS, leveraging the key underlying No Drop Out technology.
- Based on the FAA-compatible 98 Wh BB-2557/U battery
- Robust, compact power hub featuring WCS-proprietary “dual voltage bus” architecture
- User-friendly hot swap capability.
- IP-67 packaging and cables
- U-CUPS design optimized for portable antenna systems and other disaster relief powered electronics
We achieve customer alignment through extreme flexibility, recognizing the unique needs of each customer.
West Coast Solutions
17682 Gothard St #201
Huntington Beach, CA 92647, USA
CALL US: (714) 587-4628